Monday, May 2, 2016

Wonder Woman Socks and Tiny Feet

"I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness--secret riches. I will do this so you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name." Isaiah 45:3 (NLT)
 
     This morning I was pulling socks out of my dresser drawer like a mad woman. As I rummaged through the neatly stacked mounds I noticed two things: one: I have entirely too many socks; and two: my red, gold and blue, star covered Wonder Woman socks (complete with matching capes) were at the bottom of the pile. The sight of my WW socks temporarily stopped my sock searching frenzy. My WW socks were my special socks, the ones I wore every day to chemotherapy. And there they were, folded and forgotten.
Last day of chemo in May 2013.

In June I will celebrate my third anniversary--three years of remission. In the middle of my "every day" life, seeing my neglected WW socks caused me to pause and give thanks. Yes, there have been changes since my cancer diagnosis; and yes, some of them create daily challenges. But there have been blessings too. And one of the blessings was the cause of my morning sock mania: my granddaughter, now seven months old, a BIG post-cancer blessing.

I finally found what I was looking for in my sock drawer. I pulled out a tiny pair of bright green frog faced socks with little red tongues sticking out of wide mouths. The socks were a bit too big for my granddaughter, but we forgot to pack her tiny socks in the baby bag, so they would have to do. 

I glanced again at my WW socks, neatly tucked them away, and carried the frog socks downstairs where my granddaughter was waiting. And I felt thankful--for the little things which are truly the big things.




No comments:

Post a Comment