Monday, October 2, 2017

"Let Go and Let God"


“Let go and let God.” My friend Amy used to quote this phrase quite a bit during our Bible studies together as we were both going through cancer treatments.

Cancer brings so many fears and worries. We not only worry about the deadly cancer cells invading and attacking our bodies, but we also have the strange and strong medications with their harsh side effects reeking damage on our insides.

We have responsibilities that we still try to maintain with some semblance of normalcy. How do we pay our bills? If we have jobs those become a worry too. Can we still work? Do we have the energy? Will my job hold my position after the required few months? If not, then how will I keep my health insurance? How will I pay for it? What about my family? Who will take care of them? Will I be able to make dinner? What about cleaning the house? Who will drive my kids to soccer practice?

Then there are the medical bills. Cancer is not cheap.  And there are social obligations. Will I be able to go to my friend’s wedding? Do I drop out of my reading club? Do I stop teaching Sunday School? There are future hopes and dreams, changed, challenged. Will I reach that peak I have been striving for? Will I be able to see my niece graduate? Will I ever see the Grand Canyon? Or travel to Europe? Will I be able to enjoy retirement with my husband? How much time do I have left? Do I need to see a lawyer to verify my final wishes?

“Let go.” What does it mean? How is that possible?
Let’s look at God’s word. 

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (I Peter 5:7) 



First of all we need to “cast” off anxiety and worry and give them to God. This takes a willingness, a determination with a little bit of initial “oomph” on our part. We need to let go of our tight hold on control over circumstances, the current and the future, and be willing to trust God. Why? “Because he cares for you.” Deeply, thoroughly, more than you even care for yourself, and He is trustworthy. He is powerful. He not only cares, and wants His best for you, but he also knows what that entails and has the authority and credentials to bring it about.

What else does God’s word have to say about this?


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  (Philippians 4:6–7)  


Prayer. Talk to God. This is not a small thing. It is not just throwing your words out into the air. It is a real conversation with the real and living God.

“With thanksgiving.” What? Thanksgiving? We are talking about worries and anxieties here, how can they possibly be linked with thankfulness? Well, let’s remember who we are praying to—God. The Father, the One who loves us and watches over us, goes before us, never leaves us, never forsakes, never tires or wearies, never sleeps, always protects, and more and more. There is plenty to be thankful for when we consider God, His mercy and character and deep love for us.

Then what? “The peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” God’s peace. He promises and He delivers. When we pray and give our cares to God, when we thank Him, His peace invades our mind and our heart. His beautiful peace which is truly beyond our comprehension.

Then we can “Let God.” God is working. He is not finished. He does have a plan. When we relinquish our plan, then we are free to enjoy His.  


Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!  Amen.  (Ephesians 3:20–21)  



“Let Go and Let God” is an excerpt from Sara’s book The Bald-Headed, Tattooed, Motorcycle Mama’s Devotional Guide: forWomen Battling Cancer and Those Who Love Them copyright © 2013



All photos courtesy of pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment