Sunday, April 26, 2020

Cozy



Like many preschoolers, my granddaughters like to follow a naptime ritual when they are at my house—and heaven forbid if we miss a step in the process.

First, they haul their sleeping bags out of the closet and situate them on the couch so that their matching pillows rest on either end. Then they stretch their little bags out so their feet meet in the middle. Most of the time this layout works very well. Other times I have to sit in between them as they fall asleep to thwart their attempts to kick the stuffing out of each other.

Next, we read books. After our reading time is over, they get in their bags, I tuck them in and say, “There, now you are nice and cozy.” And ideally, we all fall asleep.

Cozy. 

My husband is working from home now, a new normal for us and many others during the Corona Pandemic. Our granddaughters love having him home. 

A few weeks ago, as he was working in his home office, the youngest decided we needed to check on him. So, we climbed up the stairs and she knocked on the door, went in and gave and received hugs. Seeing that he was ok, we started to trek back downstairs. But as we shut his office door, she turned to me and said, “I love Grandpa. He’s cozy.”

I love the way her three-year-old mind uses words! To her, Grandpa is as cozy as being wrapped in her pink, fuzzy sleeping bag. 

He makes her feel loved and secure.

As I have been reading through Philippians with my small-group Bible study, it has occurred to me that Paul (the author) views God in the same way!

As Paul writes to thank the Philippian church for sending him gifts to care for his needs, he makes a remarkable declaration. “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want” (Philippians 4:12).

Paul is writing this while in prison, likely under house arrest in Rome. So, while stuck at home, with his future in jeopardy, and dependent on others to provide for his needs (does this sound familiar to anyone?), he tells the Philippians that he has learned the secret to contentment. At this point, I want to yell out, “Well, what is it, Paul?”

His answer: “I can do everything through him who gives me strength” and later adds, “my God will meet your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” And concludes, “To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen” (vs. 13, 19-20).

Paul sees God as cozy.

To Paul, God is the one that makes him feel loved and secure. 

Even while in prison, Paul’s view of God is warm and rich, with an enveloping love that can be found in the ritziest, swankiest palace or the darkest, dankest dungeon. His strength is found in God. His needs are met out of God’s glorious riches. His view of God brings him contentment that transcends all circumstances.

What a beautiful view of God! 

God loves us as a parent loves their child, or a Grandfather or Grandmother loves their grandchild. His love surrounds us, he tucks it in arounds us, and no possible circumstance can take it away.


Stuffed lamb and Lion image courtesy of pixabay.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment